Schools and school districts have a legal and moral responsibility to ensure that students and staff are healthy and safe. To help meet these needs, SHESC offers environmental services that include:
- Basic First Aid, CPR and AED
- Mold Inspections: SHESC can help develop a plan for any of the issues described by the EPA here.
- Playground Safety: We can provide assistance with recommendations based on the Consumer Product Safety Commission guidelines to administrators concerned about the safety of their school playgrounds or who are considering upgrading an existing playground area.
- Defensive Driving Training
Asbestos Awareness, Re-inspection and Sampling
Asbestos is a category of fibrous, silicate mineral that is composes of long, thin crystals. It was often used through the 1970s in construction and fireproofing until its role in cancer and other serious lung conditions - when airborne - became widely acknowledged.
To mitigate the risk of asbestos in older buildings, all public school districts and non-profits schools must create, maintain and update asbestos management plans, with copies kept at each school. The plan must include:
- The school's name and address.
- The type of asbestos material in the school (if any).
- The location of any asbestos in each school, including blueprints that clearly mark any asbestos materials that are remaining.
- The date of the original school inspection.
- The plan for re-inspections.
- Recommended asbestos response actions.
- Any actions already taken for removing or repairing the asbestos-containing material, including preventive measures to reduce the possibility of exposure.
- Copies of any asbestos materials analysis conducted, along with the name and address of any laboratory that sampled and tested material.
- The name, address and phone number of the designated contact person who is ensuring the duties of the school district or non-profit school are completed.
- A description of any steps taken to communicate to and inform workers, teachers and students (or their parents / legal guardians) about any inspections, re-inspections, response actions and regular surveillance.
Clearly, the process can be lengthy and complex, so SHESC helps as a guide through the process - ensuring that each step is completed and properly documented.
For more details contact
Joe Ryan at (785) 825-9185 or email@example.com