24th Annual ‘Scramble for Schools’ Golf Tournament Raises Funds for Education
After a year’s hiatus, 87 participants played through misty conditions at the 24th annual Smoky Hill Education Foundation “Scramble for Schools” Golf Tournament on June 1.
The annual fundraiser brought in more than $6,000 in support of education at more than 50 school districts in Kansas.
A tradition nearly as old as Smoky Hill Education Service Center itself, the tournament at the Salina Municipal Golf Course has grown to be one of the largest in the area.
Hundreds of door prizes from generous area donors went to the participants, including an amazing grand prize of a Napoleon grill, which went to Cole Duncan, from USD 259 Wichita!
Prizes also went to golfers for their achievements on the course, announced as follows during the luncheon that concluded the tournament:
- Closest Second Shot: Dan Cerny (USD 305 Salina, retired)
- Closest to Pin: Rodney Palen
- Longest Putt: Raub Kirkwood (former SHESC employee)
- Longest Drive: Raub Kirkwood
- B Flight, Third Place: Mark Bandre, Mike Bandre (of USD 305 Salina and SHESC cabinet member), Gary Teel, and Casey Malek
- B Flight, Second Place: Nathan Sutter, Shad Jacobs, Jon Lightle, and Aaron Gillespie (from Nex-Tech Wireless)
- B Flight, First Place: Dan Cerny, Nathan Cerny, Dan Goble, and Steven Hayes
- A Flight, Third Place: Troy Marseline (SHESC employee), Monte Doll, Lyles Lashley, and Grant Lane
- A Flight, Second Place: Sean Robertson, Dylan Nelson, Mike Lagerman, and Andrew Jones
- A Flight, First Place: Tim Stephenson (SHESC employee), Brandon Stephenson, Joe Cotton, and Joey Cotton (representing Barton Community College)
- Championship Flight, Third Place: Quentin Breese, Krystal Breese, Derek Holmes, and Adam Frost (representing USD 333 Concordia)
- Championship Flight, Second Place: Jeff Travis (of USD 273 Beloit), John Adams, Eric Lampert, and Rodney Palen (last three from American Fidelity)
- Championship Flight, First Place: Larry Root, Stan Knipp, Dale Knipp, and Mitch Knipp
Congratulations to all the award winners and thank you to all the participants, donors, volunteers, and supporters who helped this year – and every year – to make the annual fundraiser a huge success!